Tuesday, November 03, 2009

“Don't tinker with Test Cricket’’

Gundappa Rangnath Vishwanath was a purist’s delight. The game has changed beyond recognition since the master was at the height of his prowess, but the diminutive right-hander still ranks among the most elegant batsmen the world has ever seen. His square cuts were a sight for the Gods and his straight drives had inspired artistry written all over them. In an exclusive interview with TSI’s Satish Chapparike, Vishy, as the cricketing world knows him, looks back on a glorious international career and airs his concerns about the rapidly changing face of Indian and world cricket. Excerpts from a free-wheeling conversation:

You’ve been a part of international cricket for 40 years. How do you view the evolution of the game?

Oh, I didn’t know this! From 1969 to 2009....yes, it is 40 years. In my days, we played only Test cricket: five days plus a rest day in between. I did play two World Cups in 1975 and 1979, but I still find it a bit difficult to believe that I did. Cricket has come a long way since then. When I watch an ODI or a T20 encounter, I often wonder, “Did I actually play two World Cups?” The game has changed beyond my imagination.

India won only one match in those two World Cups!?

Yes, but I don’t think that was surprising. It had something to do with our approach towards the one-day format. We used to play 60 overs a side. Sixty overs were a hell of a lot. We thought that the steady and classic approach was enough. Today, ODIs are a completely different ballgame. T20 cricket is now in. IPL was a huge success and now KPL, being organised by the Karnataka State Cricket Association (KSCA), is about to take roots. The T20 format is here to stay. The crowds love it.

As a cricketer do you love the Twenty20 format?

To be frank, I don’t, certainly not. But as a spectator I enjoy it. I am part of the crowd now and I really enjoy it. But this format is for the spectators. It is a fast game and some cricketers also really enjoy it. I don’t think all of them really enjoy this format. Those who are playing international cricket really love Test cricket. Not only old and established cricketers, even youngsters who have got the opportunity to play one or two Test matches will tell you about the value of Test cricket. Test matches are the real thing.

At what stage of your life did you begin to take cricket seriously?

I started playing seriously probably when I was 10 or 11. My brother played for his college and a private club. A neighbour played for Mysore those days and he hit a hundred on his Ranji debut. That really inspired me. I started watching these two regularly when they played. I followed in their footsteps.

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009

An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative


No comments: