Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Suman Nalwa

Suman is one of those police officers who like to do things first hand. From manning picquets to chasing burglars, to controlling mobs and political protests, she has done it all. You ask a question about the police administration and there comes the reply. It won’t be wrong to put her amongst the few officers, who are hands-on with everything related to the profession. She is the Assistant Commissioner of Police and holds the charge of headquarters, Crime Against Women Cell, Delhi Police. Her upfront communication style and her expressions are pointers to the zeal with which she takes her profession. “I take every challenge as a test to prove myself. I was the only women in the 97 batch of Delhi and Andaman and Nicobar Police and on the very first day, I was told by my trainer that I was not a woman but an officer, who has to lead men from the front. He had warned that I would not be extended any privilege come what may,” says Suman. She was ACP, Chanakyapuri, when the Beijing Olympics torch was passing through India and Tibetan immigrants were continuously demonstrating in front of the Chinese Embassy. While the entire area was under the constant vigil of the international media, she was busy performing her duty as an officer. “Our system is picking up and we have to go a long way to utilise the productivity and contribution of women in the police force. The number of women police personnel needs to be increased thrice the number of today. Facilities like crèche and residences near police stations will help them to discharge their duties more effectively,” adds the senior officer.

During her interaction with TSI, Suman introduced the reporting team to her colleague ACP Pratima Sharma, who has earned quite a name in Delhi Police and is a recipient of the President’s Police Medal for Meritorious Service in 1997 and President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Services in 2004. By doing this, Suman unknowingly demonstrated her team spirit by roping in other colleagues. She also convinced Pratima to say a few words about her own experience. “Pratima is a unique police officer to have risen to the rank of ACP from the rank of an assistant sub-inspector,” says Suman. “I have been doing whatever has come to me as my duty. I know that if I am right, I will make my way. You may call me lucky for having the support of my seniors. To put it in another way, they understand that I will do justice to the task I am entrusted with,” says Pratima. She belongs to a family of educationists and is proud of her middle-class background. A multi-faceted woman, she pursued commercial pilot license examinations and passed them successfully but could not complete her 172 hours of flying due to financial constraints. She handles the NRI complaints and also the police station duties.

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

No comments: