Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ferrari's newest ace

Formula 1’s most intriguing season in recent times kicked off in Bahrain on March 14th, and Ferrari's latest recruit, Fernando Alonso, having finished on top of the podium may hold all the cards to lead a resurgence of the prancing horse. By Francoise Inizan

How did you feel the first time you drove for Ferrari’s Formula One racing team?
Ha! That’s what everyone wants to know! Fortunately, next year, no one will ask me that anymore (laughs). You don't really realise what Ferrari represents until you arrive in Maranello and discover the passion surrounding the name. The same pride exists even in the plants that make their production cars. People are happy to go to work for Ferrari each day. That's rare.

But when you got behind the wheel...
My first test drive of the F10 was on February 3 in Valencia, and it was my father's birthday. He was there. And it was like a gift for him, since throughout my career he never stopped saying, "If one day you race for Ferrari, then you’ll be able to retire. Your life will be complete." After winning two titles with Renault, I said to him, "But Dad, I’m already happy with my career. It’s already complete!" He objected, "No, no! If you race for Ferrari, people will forget your two titles. They’ll only remember you as a Ferrari driver!" "OK Dad!"

Have you felt the almost infatuated worship of the “tifosi” since you’ve been with Ferrari?
Yes, it's a big change! I’m talking about men, OK (laughs). It’s a new feeling and an additional motivation. It’s really nice. I know that it’ll be even better if I win. I also know that if I lose, it’ll be awful. But that's what it means to be a Ferrari driver.

Have you eaten at Mamma Rosella, the famous restaurant frequented by Ferrari regulars near Maranello?
Yes. I've visited all the legendary Ferrari spots. The famous restaurant, and Enzo Ferrari's office, which hasn’t changed since his death, in 1988... It’s difficult to describe the impression because the atmosphere is so unique.

With Felipe Massa's accident and Kimi Raikkonen's average results, the 2009 season was difficult for Ferrari. Do you feel a sense of obligation to bring the team back to the top?
All the major teams suffered from the new rules on cars last year. Except (Ross) Brawn! It was also a difficult year what with the political affairs between the manufacturers and the International Federation. By getting back to a normal season, with more stability in the regulations, the major teams will return to the forefront.

These last three years, with McLaren in 2007, and then Renault, were also tough for you personally. Did that affect your passion for F1?
No, not at all. 2007 was difficult, but even though I missed winning the (FIA World) Championship by one point, it was a very enriching experience. (Alonso finished third, tied for points with his teammate Lewis Hamilton, just behind Raikkonen.) 2008 and 2009 were something else entirely. I fought for seventh place, but I learned from that. Starting in the middle of the pack. Crucial pit stops. The opportunity to take risks in the rain. All these things were interesting and I told myself, "When I have a better car, I’ll be more ready than ever. And I’ll be the best." That time has come.

Do you sympathise with Jenson Button, who just arrived at McLaren? He’ll end up like you, a two-time world champion, just like you when you arrived at McLaren in 2007. And there were some problems with Hamilton, the rookie in the house...
I think the situation is different today, because while I learned from that season, I’m sure McLaren did too.
For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

Read these article :-



Outlook Magazine money editor quits
Don't trust the Indian Media!

No comments: