Wednesday, January 20, 2010

“I feel there’s some magic between Aamir and me”

Sharman Joshi talks about the chemistry behind the magic…

Your chemistry with Aamir Khan was well appreciated in both, "Rang De Basanti" (RDB) and "3 Idiots". What would you attribute it to?


It’s quite magical actually. In "RDB", after the initial ‘getting to know’ period, Aamir and I hit it off well. The bond was so intrinsic. We so appreciate each other’s company, and I think that comes across in our movies. In fact, now when I look at it, I can understand and see why people are pointing at Aamir and me. I do feel there is some magic between us. I have a lot of love and respect for Aamir and I think that comes through. In fact, I’d proposed to Mr Hirani to make a love story with Aamir and me (laughs).

Working with Raj Kumar Hirani and Aamir Khan must have been a delight. What makes them special?

It’s a great opportunity that I’ve got twice over, to work with a superstar like Aamir. And Rajkumar Hirani is such a wonderful person and now an equally wonderful friend. He’s extremely talented, we all know that. But that apart, he’s a great person too. I’ve learnt a lot from him. I’ve improved my craft while working with him. He actually practices hard work and sincerity. As a human being he’s so compassionate. Even under tremendous pressure, he makes sure that no one is hurt and takes care of everyone. So everyone ends up putting in their 100 per cent.

You did "Hello" and then “3 Idiots”. So is there a Chetan Bhagat connection?

I happened to have read his books. But a script and a film are two different things. For any film that I do, it’s the script that matters and it was likewise for “Hello” and for “3 Idiots”. “3 Idiots”, I thought, was a great script encapsulating both substance and entertainment.

Which was the most difficult scene in the movie for you?

Even if I feel some scene is complicated or demanding, I put it at the back of my mind. I don’t get unnecessarily excited or pressurised. So there was nothing really that was difficult here.

How were your days in college? Were you anything like Raju in the movie or any other character in the film?

I’ve naturally been a person like Rancho. Well, maybe not exactly that but I always aspired to be that. By Rancho I mean, I’ve always followed my heart. I’ve done 14 films and taken my time despite the vulnerable nature of my business; and I’ve done everything with full conviction.

How was your relationship with your professors back in college? Did you ever catch a 'Virus' there?

Oh no no! (laughs). Thankfully, I didn’thave anyone like that. I was quite a favourite among teachers in school and college, so life was easy.

Any lessons well learnt?

We were performing at the annual day in college and it didn’t go well. It was the first time I was attempting acting on stage. We were all deeply hurt when this teacher, Mrs Manjari, came and said “Courage is not something that always roars. It might be a quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.” I remember that till date.

Can movies like “3 Idiots” have an effect on the education system of India?

You know, it can. People might watch such movies and think about bringing in a change. In fact, we are. I saw Mr Kapil Sibal's interview where he made a point about taking education to the international level. So, for sure this film will have an effect on people; if you step back and think, the film has already started doing its job.
For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

Read these article :-

No comments: